What happens during a dental cleaning?
Prevention is the key to protecting your smile from decay and destructive gum disease, and an essential part of prevention is thorough cleanings every six months with your dental hygienist. These appointments give us the opportunity to check your gum health, clear away the plaque and tartar that linger on your teeth, make recommendations, and leave you with a fresh, healthy smile.
During your dental cleanings at our Summerville office, you can expect the following:
- Your hygienist will first spend a few minutes catching up with you since your last visit. This time allows us to see how you are doing and if you have any questions or concerns about your oral health.
- Next, the hygienist will chart your teeth, a process where the health of your gums and teeth is noted. Your chart is a graphical tool your dentist uses to organize valuable information about your oral health.
- Your hygienist checks each tooth and surrounding gums and uses a probe to measure periodontal pockets gently. These are the spaces that open up between teeth and gums with periodontal disease, and their size helps us understand the severity of the infection.
- The next step is a thorough cleaning where all plaque and tartar are removed from the surfaces of your teeth. Your hygienist will thoroughly floss your teeth, then finish with a high-speed polishing to leave you with a fresh, sparkling smile.
- Finally, your hygienist will answer any questions and make recommendations for improving your oral care based on their findings.
If you have questions or it’s time to schedule your next dental cleaning, please call our Summerville, SC dental office, and we’ll be happy to help!
This is one of the best dentist offices on the east coast!
The friendly staff, the great work they do, as well as the amazing atmosphere, makes ... Read More
I've been going to Dr. Riley for close to 3 years now, and I always look forward to my appointments here. The staff is friendly, Dr. Riley is great and ... Read More